My relationship with food changed!?

My relationship with food changed!?

I’ve always been a healthy individual, but after the past year of emotional(binge) eating, I’ve learned my relationship with food had to change.

Binging at night, stuffing my face with empty calories, and low nutrient dense foods. My mood suffered and my weight went up 20lbs.

How I changed my ways:

• First I had to change the way I viewed myself. Instead of focusing on all the stress, I focused on caring about my emotional and physical health. I care about myself so much more, that I don’t want to cause future problems for my body and health.
  • I tried to switch things up. I went from eating burgers multiple times a week, to plant based proteins every day.

• My days are filled with different colors. I always make sure I have fruits and vegetables every day, no matter what!
  • Even my snacks are filled with colors. I am a huge yogurt fan, so I indulge on non-fat plain Greek yogurt with blueberries or strawberries.
  • I choose whole grain breads. In moderation.
  • I don’t eat pizza anymore. Pizza was my go to favorite emotional food. But now if I have it, it will be once every three months.
  • I stopped eating my meals and snacks at night. My dinner is around 6:30-7. My snack at night will either be a small glass of low-fat, almond, or soy milk or a snack that’s 50 calories or lower.
  • The hardest one had to be cutting out wine during the week. I use to have wine once or twice on the week days. No matter how bad I want it, a healthy glass of wine can be over 200 calories. That’s an extra 400-500 calories just during the week. If you drink on the  weekend as well, you’re looking at over 1000 calories over your caloric (energy) intake. That’s a lot to think about.
  • And finally the most important one. I look at food as my reward. I need to earn my food. I need to keep moving during the day, drink a lot of water, and exercise.  Then if I am out and want to indulge on that small treat, I can. I’m learning to view food as an item I need to fuel my body, instead of an over powering thing.

Eat nutrient dense and whole foods:)

Best,

Jennifernutrition101

#nutrition #food #fitness #postaweek #blogaweek #blogaday #postaday #health

Share:

8 Comments

1. February 17, 2017 / 4:19 am

Love your post Jennifer. Once I started looking at food as “fuel” for my body that was a game changer. Our thoughts drive our behaviors, we need to keep them clean too! Love and hugs!

• February 23, 2017 / 9:16 pm

Thank you so much Susan!! Hope you’re having a great week!! Love and hugs back 🙂

2. February 23, 2017 / 5:51 pm

Well, it doesn’t have to be complicated. Realistically the closer some food is to its natural state, the better. Cooking from scratch helps a lot. You know what exactly goes in your food, and you can be sure what to expect. I never had any overweight problems, but I always used butter instead of chemically created margarine, 35% whipping cream (because all dairy products are heavily modified in Canada), so on, I’m soon 59, size 4, 179 cm tall. We definitely have to eat to support ourselves, but nothing bad happens when we skip some meal. Just drink more water, and that’s fine. Body loves and needs balance and all groups of nutrients, that includes fats also. Brain cells really suffer without some fats. Thanks from https://inesepogalifeschool.com/

3. May 30, 2017 / 4:53 pm

I struggle with binge eating and today is my first day towards recovery. This is a beautiful blog and i will be checking back to remind myseld that food is not the enemy. How are you doing currently??
    I wrote about my binge eating last night, if you get a chance maybe you can check it out and tell me what you think. Comments are always appreciated!

• June 13, 2017 / 3:01 pm

Thank you so much for this beautiful response!! I also started my journey as well!! I’m so happy you’re taking the steps to embrace and take care of your beautiful self. I am proud of you!! I’m coming over to your blog!!

4. October 23, 2017 / 7:25 pm

I enjoyed this post and really makes me want to eat even better than I do now. I am the same as you, I eat more plant based foods. I try to stay away from meat. Eating healthy is really important! It can really boost your energy.